Canal Town Mural
16 Forgham Street, Lyons, NY 14489
On the east side wall of the Santelli Lumber building on the North side of Rt. 31 facing towards McDonalds.
This mural depicts three scenes from the 1800s.
The first scene depicts a family on a packet boat on the Erie Canal. The packet boats were often owned and operated by a family and transported freight and passengers from New York City to Buffalo.
The second scene shows the Lyons Methodist Church that houses a Seth Thomas clock in its steeple and is one of many community treasures along the Western Erie Canal Heritage Corridor.
The third scene portrays the Lyons Aqueduct which was located a short distance west of the center of the Village of Lyons. Built as part of the Enlarged Erie Canal in 1841, the aqueduct was 130 feet long, had 4 spans, and crossed Ganargua Creek, just north of its confluence with the Clyde River and just west of current Lock No. 27 and the junction of the Canandaigua Outlet with the Clyde River. This aqueduct allowed Erie Canal traffic to go over Ganargua Creek. It was demolished in the 1950s but the shore abutments still exist today.
Artwork Volunteers 1990
Repainted 2010 Mark DeCracker, Pat Gorthy, Don Boeheim and other volunteers